Tuesday, April 12, 2005

First thoughts

How much bandwidth can one take?

The human body only has a certain number of inputs right? And only a few of those can easily be fed from computer outputs. How much bandwidth would it take to satisfy all possible inputs?

Note I said 'easily be fed from computer outputs' - I mean a screen and speakers basically. I'm not talking about smell generators, movement generators or other 'stimulations' that can be achieved. I also said 'satisfy all possible inputs.' Theres a difference between reahing the limit of inputs (I believe its not really possible to reach the limit of inputs on the human body!) and satisfying the inputs. Granted, different people will need more input but lets just take Joe Average shall we.

First guess is around 20Mbps of data and 2005 compression rates. Lets just make that statement now and see how I feel about it in ten years time when I re-visit this first thought.

Until the next post, i'll be wondering exactly what can be carried in 20Mbps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home